19 July 2010

TMZ

A reader sent in a "request" asking me about the story behind the website and TV show TMZ.

In the time that it took for him to email me, he could have found the answer online, so I don't normally do requests (though I do like getting corrections and additions). But, I didn't know the origin of TMZ myself, so I took up the task.

TMZ broke the MJ death story and got a lot of press for it.

TMZ.com is a celebrity news web site and TV show that started five years ago as part of AOL when America Online was a bigger name online. The site is now solely owned by Warner Bros.

My guess would have been that TMZ meant "the movie zone" but that's not it. It actually stands for the "thirty-mile zone" which is more of a Hollywood insider reference.

The 30 mile zone (or "studio zone") is a thirty-mile circle centered on the intersection of West Beverly Boulevard and North La Cienega Boulevard in Los Angeles.

Shooting films and video within this zone is considered "local" while shooting outside this zone are subject to mileage and travel time charges by the talent and crew.

Take a look at a map of the TMZ

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments need to be approved by the admins. Spam will be deleted.